Comprehensive Oral Cancer Examination of the Extra-oral and Intra-oral Regions of the Head and Neck
|9201||July 17, 2012||8|
The fourteen page tutorial is a detailed description of the steps in the extra-oral and intra-oral examination done as part of the oral cancer exam, including the pertinent cranial nerves. Each region is identified in a systematic manner, including an image of the area and identification of structures. Additionally, the steps are concisely presented, identifying possible findings and corresponding images of pathology.
The tutorial, Comprehensive Oral Cancer Examination of the Extra-oral and Intra-oral Regions of the Head and Neck assists dental, allied health students and medical students with the oral cancer examination process. With the concurrent project, "Building Oral Health Capacity in Medical Education", this tutorial and downloadable video is a excellent supplement to the education currently being develop.
The tutorial can also be used as a follow along handout in the preclinical setting when practicing the examination.
Clark N, Sandow P. Comprehensive oral cancer examination of the extra-oral and intra-oral regions of the head and neck. MedEdPORTAL Publications. 2012;8:9201. http://doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.9201
- To be able to perform a complete extra-oral and intraoral examination in a systematic manner.
- To be able to specifically name normal anatomical structures of the extra-oral and intraoral regions.
- To be able to identify what to look for in each region of the extra-oral and intraoral examination.
- To be able to identify possible findings in each region of the extra-oral and intraoral examination.
- Cancer, Screening, Lymph Nodes, Mouth, Head and Neck Neoplasms, Carcinogens, Squamous Cell Carcinoma
This information is made available under the Creative Commons license.
Authors & Co-Authors
Nereyda Polo Clark, DMD
University of Florida College of Dentistry - Restorative Dental Sciences
Pamela R. Sandow, DMD
University of Florida College of Dentistry - Oral and Maxillofacial Diagnostic Sciences
Sponsorship or Funding Source
Southeast Center for Research to Reduce Disparities in Oral Health
NIH Partially supported by U54DE019261