Transgender individuals, particularly those who are undergoing or have undergone sex reassignment therapies or surgeries, constitute an under-serviced population when it comes to access to healthcare. This is the result of a variety of reasons. However, physician behavior and negative experiences within the health care system are both commonly cited reasons why transgender individuals fail to seek appropriate medical attention. The goal of this resource is to inform physicians and other health care providers of some of the major issues and barriers that transgender people face when seeking medical care. It also proposes several potential solutions to these problems. “Medical Queeries: Presenting Transcare Initiatives,” is an empowering educational film that provides health care workers with an opportunity to better understand and reflect upon the needs of the transgender community. The film features a transgender individual who focuses on the approaches health care providers (particularly physicians and nurses) can consider in order to improve transcare management. After viewing this video, the audience should be able to define transgender, transcare, and develop self-awareness of how to combat transgender barriers to health care. The accompanying PowerPoint presentation serves as a discussion tool to further enhance student learning. This learning module requires only a projector and screen, and a facilitator. The session can be run in 45-60 minutes, including time allotted for discussion. The length of the presentation means that it can be done over a lunch hour or fitted into a regular meeting. Discussion is key—having someone to help facilitate conversation will make the session engaging, interesting, and informative. The video has been distributed through the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada, and through various transgender healthcare presentations in health care settings such as the London Health Sciences Centre. It is also found on the Canadian Healthcare Education Commons.
- Define the term “gender identity” and explain how this differs from “natal sex.”
- Explain the difference between the terms “cisgender” vs. “transgender.”
- Address the differences between “gender dysphoria,” “sexual orientation,” and “gender non-conformity.”
- Explain what gender transitioning may mean for an individual.
- Outline surgical and hormonal options for an individual desiring a transition.
- Describe how avoidance of health care for transgender individuals creates a health care disparity.
- Identify methods that healthcare professionals can implement to reduce barriers to transgender health care access.
- Improve medical professional attitudes toward transgender patients through case-based learning and discuss transgender health care scenarios that may arise during patient care.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution license.