A series of Geriatric Transitions Objective Structured Video Examination (GT-OSVE) cases was developed with Health Resources and Services Administration Geriatric Academic Career Award support to meet an unmet need in care transitions education. Most existing care transitions educational materials focus on the time of hospital discharge. These cases focus instead on posthospital transitional care in various settings, including the outpatient primary care clinic, skilled nursing facility, and assisted living facility. The GT-OSVE case presented here—Hospital to Outpatient Care Transition—addresses the first posthospital primary care outpatient visit. This resource was designed to be broadly applicable to health professions trainees ranging from novice to expert. It was also designed to ease the scheduling burden of arranging interdisciplinary experiences by videotaping the encounter of a standardized patient and his caregiver with a trainee, so that faculty members do not need to schedule or compensate standardized patients and other actors to administer the GT-OSVE. The case depicts a standardized patient playing the role of a hypothetical patient, Mr. John Coleman, undergoing a transition of care. The case may be used as an educational tool to teach interdisciplinary health professions trainees about care transitions involving older adults across the continuum of care. The target audience involves teams of interdisciplinary health professions trainees, including but not limited to medical students, residents, physician assistant students, clinical pharmacy students, social work students, and nursing students. The GT-OSVE prompts an individual or an interdisciplinary team to formulate a transitions plan based on the video case. An after-visit summary template provided to trainees helps them organize their transitions plans based on best practices in posthospital transitions. The faculty checklist of care transitions and team functioning domains assists faculty in debriefing with trainees after each case about skills important to interdisciplinary models of primary care practice. Preliminary data among the first residency class (n = 8) to participate in the GT-OSVE suggest improved self-efficacy in facilitating transitions of care and positive experiences overall with the GT-OSVE.
- Understand best practices in posthospital transitional care.
- Acquire practical experience in formulating a high-quality, team-based transitions plan.
- Discuss the contributions of other health professions trainees in formulating effective transitions plans.
Prior Scholarly Dissemination:
- Farrell TW, Brunker CB. Geriatric Transitions OSVE (Objective Structured Video Examination). Presented at: 10th Annual Reynolds Grantee Meeting; October 22-24, 2012; St. Louis, MO.
- Farrell TW. Objective Structured Video Examinations (OSVEs) focused on transitions of care. Presented at: American Geriatrics Society Annual Scientific Meeting; May 3-5, 2013; Grapevine, TX.
- Farrell TW, Brunker CB. Geriatric Transitions OSVE (Objective Structured Video Examination). Presented at: 11th Annual Reynolds Grantee Meeting; October 21-23, 2013; Coronado, CA.
- Farrell TW, Brunker CB. Geriatric Transitions Objective Structure Video Examination (GT-OSVE). Presented at: Department of Veterans Affairs National GEC Leads Virtual Conference; 2014.
- Farrell TW, Brunker CB. The Geriatric Transitions Objective Structured Video Examination (GT-OSVE): an interdisciplinary approach to teaching and assessing best practices in transitional care. Presented at: Society for Social Work Leadership in Health Care (SSWLHC) 49th Annual Meeting and Conference; November 5-8, 2014; Salt Lake City, UT.
- Farrell TW, Brunker CB. Tools you can use: Geriatric Transitions Objective Structured Video Examination. John A. Hartford Foundation website. http://www.jhartfound.org/blog/tools-you-can-use-geriatric-transitions-objective-structured-video-examination/. Published February 4, 2014.
This is an open-access publication distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial license.