This evidence-based, stand-alone, teaching module is designed to help students of medical- and dental-related professions identify oral ulcerative conditions in an easy and effective way. This resource also constitutes a great aid for dental students when dealing with the differential diagnosis of oro-facial lesions. This module covers most of the ulcerative entities of the oro-facial region. It contains an instructor’s guide, a flowchart, and multiple PowerPoint presentations. We have used this module in clinic-pathological conferences, in pathology laboratories, in general dentistry and pathology clinics during training, individually in the clinic in continuing education courses, and also in class with a large number of students. Our experience is that in large groups, when everybody has an individual computer with the module, the students enjoy and play with the resource. The learning is even more effective in large groups when everybody is focused in the same case. With this evidence-based process, the students reach a diagnosis easier than before and enjoy the activity as well. It is user friendly and effective. This model can be applied to many other fields and to other specialties.
By the end of this session, learners will be able to:
- Facilitate the diagnosis of systemic diseases that manifest with oral mucosal ulcerations.
- Facilitate the diagnosis of ulcerative entities that belong to the oral cavity.
- Facilitate the teaching of systemic diseases with oral mucosal ulcerations.
- Facilitate learning of ulcerative conditions of the mouth.
- Marx RE, Stern D. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology: A Rationale for Diagnosis and Treatment. 2nd ed. Hanover Park, IL: Quintessence Publishing; 2012.
- Neville BW, Damm DD, Allen CM, Bouquot JE. Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO: Saunders; 2009.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivatives license.