This Critical Synthesis Package contains: (1) a Critical Analysis of the psychometric properties and the application of health science education of the Kogan’s Attitudes Toward Old People Scale (Kogan OP Scale), and (2) a copy of the Kogan OP Scale and its scoring instructions developed by Nathan Kogan, PhD.
The Kogan OP Scale is a 34-item self-report scale designed to measures attitudes toward older adults. Seventeen of the items are negatively worded and 17 are positively worded which make up the Older Person Positive and Older Person Negative subscales. The response options are given using a 6-point summed Likert-type scale (1 = strongly disagree, 6 = strongly agree), with a score of 4 given in the event a respondent failed to answer a question. Higher scores indicate greater negative attitudes toward older adults. The Kogan OP Scale has been used to examine attitudes about older adults across different groups (i.e., college students, older adults, medical students, nursing students, and other health care professionals). The construction of the scale was based on a male-dominated sample and has been used for 45 years without formal revision. As older adults have changed over the last 40 years with regards to life expectancy, health status, family makeup, living conditions, and use of technology, revision of the scale is necessary. Further, recent studies have demonstrated that the OP subscales show weak internal consistency and share only a small proportion of the variance. In addition, corrected item-to-total correlations demonstrate that the items are weakly tied to the latent variable, and moreover, content analysis of the items has shown that some items are outdated (as previously stated). Future studies should address the inclusion of a more diverse sample in validation of the scale for the US population, as well as the examination of additional forms of validity such as predictive validity and concurrent validity within the English speaking population.
- To describe the purpose and basic properties of the Kogan's Attitudes Towards Old People Scale (Kogan OP Scale), including number of items and scales and psychometric properties;
- To describe the application of the Kogan OP Scale to the field of health science education;
- To evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the Kogan OP Scale; and
- To provide the Kogan OP Scale and supplemental materials to aid in its administration.
- Adibelli D. The validity and reliability of Kogan’s attitude towards old people scale in the Turkish society. Health. 2011;3(09):602. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/health.2011.39101
- Adorno TW, Frenkel-Brunswik E, Levinson DJ, Sanford RN. The authoritarian personality. 1950.
- Doherty M, Mitchell EA, O'Neill S. Attitudes of healthcare workers towards older people in a rural population: A survey using the Kogan Scale. Nursing research and practice. 2011;2011. http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2011/352627
- Erdemir F, Kav S, Citak EA, Hanoglu Z, Karahan A. A Turkish version of Kogan's attitude toward older people (KAOP) scale: reliability and validity assessment. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2011 May-Jun;52(3):e162-5. doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2010.10.019. Epub 2010 Nov 13. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2010.10.019
- Hilt ML. The Kogan Attitudes Toward Old People scale: is it time for a revision? Psychol Rep. 1997 Jun;80(3 Pt 2):1372-4. http://dx.doi.org/10.2466/pr0.1997.80.3c.1372
- Hilt ML, Lipschultz JH. Broadcast news and elderly people: Attitudes of local television managers. Educational Gerontology: An International Quarterly. 1996;22(7):669-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0360127960220704
- Hilt ML, Lipschultz, JH. Reviewing the Kogan Scale: A test of local television news producers' attitudes toward older adults. Educ Gerontol., 1999;25(2):143–153. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/036012799267927
- Hollar D, Roberts E, Busby-Whitehead J. COCOA: A new validated instrument to assess medical students' attitudes towards older adults. Educational Gerontology. 2011;37(3):193-209. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03601277.2010.532063
- Holroyd A, Dahlke S, Fehr C, Jung P, Hunter A. Attitudes toward aging: implications for a caring profession. Journal of Nursing Education. 2009;48(7):374. http://dx.doi.org/10.3928/01484834-20090615-04
- Iwasaki M, Jones JA. Attitudes toward older adults: a reexamination of two major scales. Gerontol Geriatr Educ. 2008;29(2):139-57. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02701960802223209
- Kogan N.Attitudes toward old people: the development of a scale and an examination of correlates. J Abnorm Soc Psychol. 1961 Jan;62:44-54. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0048053
- Kogan N. Attitudes toward old people in an older sample. The Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology. 1961;62(3):616-622. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/h0048356
- Lambrinou E, Sourtzi P, Kalokerinou A, Lemonidou C. Reliability and validity of the Greek version of Kogan's Old People Scale. J Clin Nurs. 2005 Nov;14(10):1241-7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2005.01229.x
- Liu Y-e, Norman IJ, While AE. Nurses’ attitudes towards older people: A systematic review. International journal of nursing studies. 2013;50(9):1271-82. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.11.021
- Ogiwara S, Inoue K, Koshimizu S. Reliability and validity of a Japanese version of'Attitudes Towards the Elderly'scale. Journal of Physical Therapy Science. 2007;19(1):27-32. http://dx.doi.org/10.1589/jpts.19.27
- Söderhamn O, Gustavsson SM, Lindencrona C. Reliability and validity of a Swedish version of Kogan's Old People Scale. Scand J Caring Sci. 2000;14(4):211-5.http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1471-6712.2000.tb00587.x
- Yen CH, Liao WC, Chen YR, Kao MC, Lee MC, Wang CC. A Chinese version of Kogan's Attitude Toward Older People Scale: reliability and validity assessment. Int J Nurs Stud. 2009 Jan;46(1):37-43. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2008.05.004. Epub 2008 Aug 12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2008.05.004
This is an open-access publication distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike license.