By the end of this curriculum, learners will be able to:
- Describe physician tasks for five prototypic ambulatory visits.
- Describe teaching strategies used in seminar sessions.
- Adapt didactic presentation outlines to teach in various formats.
- Describe the use of the Task-Oriented Processes in Care (TOPIC) model for clinical teaching.
- Explain integration of the TOPIC model with the five-step microskills model of clinical teaching.
- Discuss reinforcement of the TOPIC model with independent case studies.
- Discuss training of preceptors in use of the TOPIC model in clinical teaching.
- Select appropriate methods and instruments to evaluate learner performance of TOPIC tasks.
None to report.
None to report.
Corboy J, Rogers J. Teaching the way we really practice: didactic teaching with the Task-Oriented Processes in Care model. Seminar presented at: Annual Meeting of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine; May 2000; Orlando, FL.
Corboy J, Rogers J. What’s the TOPIC? Redefining the ACGME Competencies for Ambulatory Care in Family Medicine. Seminar presented at: Annual Spring Meeting of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine; May 2004; Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Dains J, Huang W, Monteiro M, et al. Medical student performance outcomes from the “TOPIC” curriculum: 3 year evaluation. Poster presented at: Association of American Medical Colleges Annual Meeting, Research in Medical Education Conference; November 2001; Washington, DC.
Rogers J, Dains J, Chang T. A “process of care” curriculum for teaching generalist competencies. Seminar presented at: Annual Meeting of the Society of Teachers of Family Medicine; April 1999; Seattle, WA.
Rogers J, Huang W, Dains J, Corboy J, Williams F, Monteiro FM. A “Task-Oriented Processes in Care” curriculum to teach ambulatory care to medical students and residents. Presented at: UME-21 Undergraduate Medical Education for the 21st Century Annual Meeting; March 2001; Washington, DC.
This is an open-access publication distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike license.