This video resource is designed to complement a traditional lecture on the preparation and restoration of class I amalgams. The videos show the magnified step-by-step procedure of the preparation and restoration of an occlusal restoration on tooth #19 and an occlusolingual restoration on tooth #3. The videos are sufficiently detailed to demonstrate armamentarium, hand piece orientation, and hand instrumentation, as well as review common problems in the preparation and restoration. Each video is divided into three areas: pre-preparation, preparation, and restoration. Following the preparation and the restoration, detailed criteria for assessment is included. The criteria are sufficiently generalized that they can be used by any operative/restorative department, and are presented in a manner that enables beginning students to develop necessary self-assessment skills. The videos are used by the University of Florida College of Dentistry first-year dental students. The videos provide a close up view of the preparation and restoration. The video format allows the student to select the parts of the procedure with which they are having difficulty, and at their own pace they have an opportunity to rehearse and master the skill. Additionally, the video shows the student how to evaluate their own work. The faculty has been pleased with the information and the quality of the video. The students have said that the videos were instrumental in their mastery of the information.
- Provide a clear, detailed view of the steps in preparing and restoring an occlusal amalgam.
- Provide a clear, detailed view of the steps in preparing and restoring an occlusolingual amalgam.
- Provide the appropriate dental terminology used in cavity preparation and restoration.
- Demonstrate the proper use of dental instruments used in amalgam preparation and restoration.
- Demonstrate the assessment criteria for class I cavity preparation and restoration.
This is an open-access publication distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike license.