This resource is a self-guided instructional module on the fabrication of a cast post and core. It is designed to assist learners through the detailed step-by-step instructions of the procedure. In this resource, two techniques are demonstrated: direct fabrication and indirect fabrication of the post and core pattern. Learners can use this resource for self-paced learning while faculty can utilize it to augment lectures and discussions. This resource has been used in preclinical courses for several years. Students reported positive experiences in terms of learning at their own pace. The pictures and instructions provided a useful guide for students in learning the cast post and core.
By the end of this scenario, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the indication and restorability of the tooth requiring cast post and core (CPC).
- Determine the length and width of the post.
- Prepare the canal of the tooth to receive the CPC restoration.
- Fabricate an acrylic pattern of the CPC using direct technique.
- Fabricate a wax pattern of the CPC using indirect technique.
- Prepare the tooth to receive the crown restoration.
© 2010 Adarve and Seong.
This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-No Derivatives license.
Adarve R, Seong W. Self guided instructional material: cast post and core restoration. MedEdPORTAL. 2010;6:8203. https:/
doi. org/ 10. 15766/ mep_ 2374- 8265. 8203
This publication is co-sponsored by the American Dental Education Association.