|9091||January 30, 2012||1|
A media file approximately 30 minutes with lecture notes, slides and instructor guide.
Khocht A. The Periodontium. MedEdPORTAL Publications; 2012. Available from: https://www.mededportal.org/publication/9091 http://dx.doi.org/10.15766/mep_2374-8265.9091
Contains Information Suitable for Patient Education
- To define the structures that compromise the periodontium.
- To describe the macroscopic and microscopic anatomy of the gingival tissues.
- To describe the formation of collagen in the gingival tissues.
- To describe the anatomy and function of the periodontal ligament.
- To describe the anatomy and function of cementum.
- To describe the anatomy and function of alveolar bone.
- Gingiva, Periodontal Ligament, Alveolar Bone
Knowledge for Practice
- Gross Anatomy
- Dental Student
Authors & Co-Authors
Ahmed Khocht, DDS
Effectiveness and Significance
The presentation is designed as a concise review of periodontal anatomy and histology and a novel educational resource. Understanding periodontal anatomy is important in any dental evaluation. Learning the anatomy of the periodontal structures would help dental students to understand the pathological changes in the periodontal tissues under the influence of disease. Periodontal anatomy is a relevant topic on state board and national examinations. Helping dental students learn periodontal anatomy is essential for building their clinical skills and their professional development.
Special Implementation Guidelines or Requirements
The user will need a computer or mobile devices with access to the internet to download or access the 30-minute MP4 file of the lecture presentation and the two PDF files containing lecture slides and notes. The presentation maybe used in private or in the lecture hall to learn or deliver a comprehensive review of the periodontal structures in a concise manner.
This information is made available under the Creative Commons license.