The following data has been gathered on 29 physicians and physicians-in-training who participated the health literacy workshop. Twenty-one are University of Chicago Medicine Interns and Residents, and eight are a combination of Family Medicine Fellows, Attending Physicians, and Family Medicine Residents at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. Three results emerged from the workshop:
By University of Chicago residents, 100% completion of direct observation using the teach-back method in 3 patient encounters per learner.
By University of Chicago residents, revision of patient handout material resulted in lowering the reading level from grade 11.5 to grade to 6.3 (N=21).
Statistically significant improvement in self-assessment of communication skills in each of the 5 domains among all learners (N=29). Using a 5 point scale (5=excellent and 1=poor), learners rated their skill explaining: change in medication dose; a new diagnosis; rationale for ordering a diagnostic test; and referral to a specialist.
mean rating Post-course
mean rating p value
Explain dose change 29 3.41 4.15 p<0.001
Explain new diagnosis 29 3.34 4.05 p<0.001
Explain diagnostic test 29 3.24 3.95 p<0.001
Explain referral to specialist 27 3.41 3.91 p<0.001
Select patient education materials 27 2.92 3.87 p<0.001
- To describe the anticipated demographic changes in the US over the next 50 years.
- To recognize the impact of low health literacy on geriatric patients.
- To explain the relationship between health literacy and health care disparities.
- To demonstrate the “teach-back” method.
- To edit patient handout materials for low health literacy patients.
None to report.
None to report.
Geriatrics Health Literacy Workshop. Presented at: Reynold's Foundation National Meeting of Geriatric Medical Educators; October 2011.
S Limaye. Geriatrics Health Literacy Workshop. Presented at: University of Chicago Medical Education Day; November 2010.
- Farrell TW. Review of a Geriatric Health Literacy Workshop for Medical Students and Residents. JAGS 59:2347-2349, 2011.
- Reynold’s Foundation National Meeting of Geriatric Medical Educators Presenter: “Geriatrics Health Literacy Workshop”, October 2011.
- S Limaye. Geriatrics Health Literacy Workshop. University of Chicago Medical Education Day, November 2010.
This is an open-access publication distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-Share Alike license.